Saturday, May 27, 2006

Leaving






Asa and I visited my parents a few days ago. We stayed for two-and-a-half days, eating pho, listening to Tzu Chi news, touring my Dad's vegetable, fruit, and herb garden, cruising to the pagoda, chatting with old friends, and stocking supplies for our Kenya trip. On the way home, we saw old friends (and their new baby) in Maryland.

We're usually on a plane on my birthday. This year came dangerously close so we had an impromptu birthday party for me with some friends at the Banana Cafe's Piano Bar on 8th Street. We sang showtunes with the pianist and ate free fried Cuban appetizers. One friend gave me gifts for the trip like yo-yos for kids, notebooks, and small photo albums.

While packing tonight I realise I'm not quite ready to leave. Though this year has been one of the busiest, I've loved sharing my life with Asa. It has been a whirlwind few years: Returning from Southeast Asia; traveling the US by tent, cooler and car; moving to DC on another whim; building a household routine; hiking the John Muir Trail, adapting to student life & work routines again; planning wedding and summers and far in advance; seeing old friends, making new friends; studying together; running, biking, climbing; learning new recipes and dance routines (though not at the same time), and now preparing for Kenya and another big move afterwards. I can't think of after August now. We don't have time.

We take the shuttle to Dulles in 10 hours. In less than 24 hours we'll be in Nairobi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home